Honors Program

About the honors program

To graduate with honors in Sociology, a student must complete the major with a 3.5 GPA in sociology and a 3.3 cumulative GPA, and must complete an honors thesis in the context of a year-long honors thesis course. You earn a total of 9 credits for completing the thesis (3 credits each of S495, S498, and S499).

The honors thesis is an empirical research paper based on a research study. It can range in length from 20-30 pages and is completed while taking an honors seminar where analysis and writing issues can be discussed with other honors students and the faculty advisor. You are required to prepare a formal presentation of the honors thesis in the seminar.

Though our department does not have funds to support undergraduate research, most students in the seminar are eligible for funding through the Hutton Honors College. Please contact the undergraduate advisor for more information.

How to apply

Sociology majors with a 3.5 GPA in sociology and a 3.3 cumulative GPA are eligible to apply. Applications are accepted each spring. The director of undergraduate studies reviews the applications and conducts interviews before making a final decision. You do not have to have a faculty recommendation to apply.

The Sociology undergraduate advisor is the initial contact for a student interested in the honors program. The undergraduate advisor will put you in touch with the faculty member who supervises the year-long honors thesis course. Honors students also select a second reader for their thesis from among the Sociology faculty.

You are encouraged to take the required theory, methods, and statistics courses before pursuing an honors thesis, along with courses related to your desired honors thesis topic. Students must enroll in the year-long thesis course during their senior year. You will conduct research and write the thesis in this structured, supportive context.

Apply for the program using the form. If you have questions, please contact the undergraduate advisor or the director of undergraduate studies.

Apply for honors