Guidance for your academic career

Jeanne Myers and Laurie Staring are our undergraduate advisors, and they are happy to help you plan and manage your experience at IU. They are experts in working with Sociology students, and can help you:

  • Identify your academic and career goals
  • Declare a major, minor, or major concentration
  • Develop an academic plan
  • Combine your degree with other majors or minors
  • Understand requirements, academic policies, and procedures
  • Select and enroll in appropriate classes
  • Learn to use available academic tools, such as the College of Arts and Sciences Bulletin, the degree map for your major, and your Academic Advisement Report
  • Connect with academic support services
  • Integrate co-curricular opportunities such as internships, study abroad, student organizations, and undergraduate research
  • Apply for honors or scholarships
  • Transfer course evaluations
  • Make use of other campus resources, including career services


Jeanne Myers

Jeanne Myers

Undergraduate Advisor

Laurie Staring

Laurie Staring

Undergraduate Advisor

General FAQs

Prospective and current students may send an email to or contact the Sociology department office at 812-855-4127. Current students may use the Student Appointment Scheduler.

Students can apply for a Sociology major or an Interdepartmental major in Sociology and Afro-American and African Diaspora Studies by scheduling an appointment with the academic advisor. The Sociology department at Indiana University is part of the College of Arts and Sciences. Before declaring sociology as a major, a student must meet the entrance requirements of the College. These include the following:

  • Completion of 26 credit hours of coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
  • Complete the English Composition requirement.

If you are in University Division, see your University Division advisor and declare a sociology major. Otherwise, contact the sociology advisor at

The sociology department has 3 minors. Learn more about the options and apply online here.

Obtain an on-line permission for major-coded or authorized sections for sociology courses by contacting the sociology undergraduate advisor at

It might be possible to work with a faculty sponsor and earn academic credit for an internship by enrolling in SOC-X373 Internship in Professional Practice, SOC-X 477 Field Experience in Sociology, SOC-X 490 Individualized Readings in Sociology or ASCS-X 373 Internship: Theory into Practice. Ask your academic advisor about these opportunities.

Credit transfer information

If you plan to take a course at another university, you can check the credit transfer service web site to first see how the course will transfer at IU Bloomington. If the university you plan to attend isn’t listed in the credit transfer service web site, you must contact the department of the course you plan to take and they will need to determine how the course will count.

If you plan to take a course at another IU campus and would like to transfer the course back to the Bloomington campus, you will need to do an intercampus transfer.

To learn how IU transfers credit and for rules and regulations, Visit the site which lists the grade required and other pertinent information.

Recorder’s office

Please consult the Recorder’s website to find information concerning:

  • Drop/add procedures
  • FX or Extended X
  • Pass/fail
  • Transcripts
  • Apply for a minor
  • Applying to graduate
  • Ceremonies web link

Registrar’s office

Please consult the Registrar's website to find information concerning:

  • Schedule adjustment information
  • Waitlist information
  • Intensive Writing information
  • 1st and 2nd 8 weeks information
  • Grade distribution database