We are delighted to announce that Professor Tim Hallett is the 2021 recipient of the Helen Lopata Mentor Excellence Award from the Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction. This award recognizes the valuable and profound influence that mentoring relations have on all parties. Tim is being honored for mentoring excellence that readily meets the SSSI nomination criteria, namely:
- a sustained career as a beneficial role model;
- a sustained record of mentoring students and junior colleagues in acquiring the skills and resources necessary for career success;
- promoting successful and timely completion of students’ degree programs;
- supporting attendance and participation at conferences;
- imparting informed advice relating to career opportunities and choices;
- establishing opportunities for networking and professional connections;
- motivating students and junior colleagues about research and teaching activities;
- helping students and junior colleagues develop a range of talents including skills in research, teaching, professional presentations, writing, preparation of grant and fellowship applications, etc.;
- integrating students and junior colleagues into the broader culture of the SSSI.
It’s a well-earned honor. Kudos to Tim!